Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hop to it

I will begin this beer blog by admitting something embarrassing and startling: I do not drink beer. Oh, I drink lambics, sure, and give me a glass of Hornsby's any day, but beer? Blech. It's the hops, you see. They somehow react with my body chemistry in a way that turns your average pint into a festering well of bitterness and sorrow.


So why am I blogging about beer? In the immortal words of Terry Pratchett, "Some people are heroes. And some people jot down notes." I am one of the latter, and so here I am, jotting down notes. I am surrounded by heroes who love beer and drink it whenever possible. More importantly, they like to try new beers and offer their sage opinions on the relative merits of each, and then usually forget those opinions within a few hours because let's face it, they have been drinking.

What do I hope to accomplish? For one, I hope to help my friends keep track of their drinking habits. Beyond that, I hope to be at least moderately entertaining and educational in my role as collector and purveyor of beer knowledge and opinions. A sort of beer tour guide, if you will, cracking terrible canned jokes while encouraging you to try new things, no you go ahead, I promise it's delicious, no I don't want any thank you very much.

What are you waiting for? Get drinking! Oh, right, you're waiting for me to tell you what to drink. Well then, let's get started.

0 comments: