Friday, February 5, 2010

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA

The name of this beer intrigued me because, well, I had no clue what it meant. Namely the "Ottin'" bit, which I kept reading as "otter" because let's face it, otters are adorable. And so it was that I found myself on the website of the Anderson Valley Brewing Company, which is located in a place called Boonville, which has its own language. Boonville is in California, which as we know is practically a foreign country, so I was not entirely surprised. But I was amused that the language, called Boontling, was allegedly created "to use in their private conversations, both for their own amusement, and to confound anyone who might overhear them harpin’ (talking). They created new words as they went, trying to shark (stump) their companions." My new goal in life is to use this language whenever possible. I will undertake its study post-hate.


But you are perhaps wondering about the beer itself. I am pleased to report that it was well-received. A dark amber color, it was hoppy as it should be, with some floral undertones that gave it an almost tea-like taste according to Alex. It has a medium body for an IPA and is about as bitter as you would expect. The drinkers compared it to a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA but more brutal, though not quite at the level of a 90 Minute. They very much enjoyed it and would definitely drink it again and seek it out.

And if you were wondering, "Hop Ottin'" means "hard working hops" in Boontling. Grab some chiggrul and this steinber at a tidrik and you're in for some bahl hornin'. Just nee boarch the heelch horn and moshe or you'll end up at the shoveltooth.

Just the facts, ma'am: Hop Ottin' IPA, Anderson Valley Brewing Company, California, American IPA, 7.0% alcohol by volume, 80 IBU.

0 comments: